When was the last time you took a selfie? Thanks to our phones, most people have a lot more photographs of themselves than we did 10 years ago, but what about pictures with of us *with* our kids? I’m constantly being reminded by my phone that the memory is full – full of pictures of my kids riding rubber donkeys, smooshing food all over their faces and being their cute and mischievous selves. There are quite a few photos of the Acadian getting in on the fun, but not so many that include me.
Last week, I came across a super cool feature on a new blog I discovered. Krystyn from Really, Are You Serious does Mommy & Me Monday every week on her blog, and I thought it was a great idea! You can read about her reasons for doing it over here.
I decided it would be fun to join her, and a good reminder to get at least one photo, out of the hundred or so I take each week, where I am actually in the frame with my girls. I have a few reasons of my own for wanting to do this:
1. I get a kick out of seeing pictures of my Mom and me from when I was a kid, but there really aren’t that many around. Taking photos wasn’t as easy or second nature in those days as it is now, so I have no excuse, and hopefully these pics will entertain my girls when they are a little older. And a happy coincidence – after updating my iPhone to iOS 8, I discovered that the camera now has a timer function! A timer!!! This should make it easier to get all three heads into the frame instead of one-arming it.
2. Being a mom means my kids are going to look up to me at some point. Hopefully. The biggest wish that I have for them is to grow up being comfortable in all of their weird and wonderful glory, and their best bet for learning how to do that is by watching me. You know, as long as I make sure to do it myself. Lucky for them, I’m really starting to get the hang of being a weirdo. And I don’t want them to ever, every shy away from the camera or be self-conscious about having their photo taken – so that starts with me, being my goofy self with them, hair brushed or not!
Not long ago, my dear friend and amazingly talented photographer Carrie over at Four Bees Photography wrote her own post about her struggle to get in front of the camera with her kids. It might seem like a small thing in the big picture of life, and you may think that you’ll get in on the action next time – when you’re dressed nicer, you’ve lost a bit of weight, don’t look as tired… There really is an endless list of excuses. But life keeps moving along, fast as always, and I think the camera will manage to capture one important thing: we’re all trying damn hard to be awesome moms, no matter how crappy we’re feeling or think we’re looking.
So here are our pics from this morning. They aren’t portrait quality, but there we are – me and my girls! Documenting what was a bit of a crazy morning here, with a grumpy not-so-awesome, tired mom who still needed her coffee, a firecracker of a two-year old raring to go for the day and high off the imaginary caffeine in her pretend tea, and the wee little cuddle bug who may have face planted on the floor while she was trying to sit up on her own. I hate when that happens, but those little pouty faces are still so cute.
Want to join in the fun? If you’re a blogger, you can link up a post with a pic of yourself with your kids (fur babies count too!) at Really, Are You Serious every Monday.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Latest posts by Sylvie (see all)
- Coconut Chai Paleo Breakfast Bars - September 7, 2015
- Easy Freezer Recipes: Paleo Lemon Coconut Breakfast Bars - March 26, 2015
- Easy Freezer Recipes: Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Breakfast Bars - November 13, 2014